Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Day Two

The Significant Motifs that I've found in "The Blue Bird," are the step-mother's hindering ways of the Prince and the Princess's love, instead she persistently wants her own daughter to wed the prince. Other motifs have to do with marriage, a window, and the Chamber of Echoes, which is the place where everything is resolved. The symbols found in this story are the jewels and a ring, which symbolizes the prince's love and faithfulness to the princess. Other symbols include a window, four eggs, and the color blue, which is a color that resembles loyalty. There are numerous archetypical characters in this story. There is a princess, a prince who is under a spell, a step-mother, and a step-sister, along with assistants on both good and evil sides.

These components are important in the folktale that I had chosen, because some of the motifs that happens in the story also foreshadows what is going to happen next, while the others give more of an emphasis of both perspectives. The symbols in the story gives me the ideas of how much one person is willing to do for love. Then, the archetypical characters are the people that I that I already know who I am going to like and who I am going to dislike.

There are a handful of things that I would like to retain and dismiss in my pastiche. I would like to retain the beginning part of the story, and the queen's lies and deceiving methods on the prince. Also the part when the prince, as a bluebird, gives the princess his token of love by bringing her jewels, but later thinks that the princess had betrayed him since the queen had found out about his being under a spell. There is also a part that I want to keep and it is right after the death of the king; it's the part where Turritella, the step-sister, flees to her fairy godmother after her mom is killed by the falling of the doors of the palace by the raging people of the kingdom. I am also going to retain the part where the prince's friend, the enchanter, talks with the step-sister's godmother about taking away the spell, but the only way was to marry the step-sister. The sleeping potion and another version of the four eggs will also be retained in my pastiche of the story.

However, I will also be dimissing a couple of things from the story. Instead of having the princess be sent to her room and then locked in a tower, in my version she'll just prabably be locked up in some sort of cell. There is also a scene where Turritella tricks the prince that she is the princess, and then they proceed with a wedding, I'm going to gid rid of the wedding part. I'm also taking out the part where the queen sends the prince gifts to marry her daughter. When the princess is locked up, and the queen sends a spy, since she believes that the princess is having some sort of aid, I'm going to take out the spy and just have the step-sister find out. I'm also letting the queen live in my story, after the rage of the people of the kingdom, she's so stress out that she'll just leave her daughter and the kingdom. Finally, in the original story the step-sister ends up being an owl, but I was planning to make her have another ending.

2 comments:

  1. This is wonderful Adora. I am, again, impressed by how you think. You are using wonderful metacognition skills here in brainstorming for your pastiche, which will make writing it easier. You have identified the key points of the folk tale, which will make it extremely easy to transform them in your pastiche. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am impressed with all of the work and effort you have put into this project. I had problems trying to find motifs and symbols in my folk-tale so I took a look at your blog and it helped my a lot. Thanks u are doing a great job!!!

    ReplyDelete