Saturday, January 23, 2010

Day Nineteen

I think there are a lot of missing pieces to the culture of my story. If I was just writing a short story for children's book, then I think that the story is already long enough for a short story. However, if I was to write a whole book. I think that there can be much more than can be added in. For example, the geisha and their way of life. Also I believe that the Japanese life back then was much more complex than it actually is in my fairytale.

I think that if I were to write a whole novel, I would add in the part of the geisha. They are artists that practice a lot of skills. In fact the word itself tells of what they do. In the Japanes kanji writing, "gei" means art, and "sha" means "doer." Their job is to entertain their costumers. For them, a white face and red lips is a sign of beauty. Back in the days, the Japanese actually used to bleach their teeth black for a symbol of beauty. Originally geishas were actresses and they could also be prostitutes, since it was common for men to find romantic attachment from them. Since I love to watch Korean drama soap drama so much, then I could probably write a whole love drama novel based off of my original folktale using the information from the Japanese culture.

Well, anyways back to my pastiche, I think there are still plenty of information that I can put into the reading, however I think that it might be too much for children to maintain all that information. So I thought that illustrations would be a great way to show kids a vision of how the culture really is like. I don't just want any pictures, I want pictures that can connect and tell the story just what is being shown.

I don't think that I have anything relating to religion in my story. Although I know that there were religions that were practiced at that time, I don't remember putting that piece of information in my writing. I could probably have the princess to gods that they worshiped back then. So, religion is a is probably something that I can add that isn't already there.

4 comments:

  1. I like the picture you added to your blog, it really helped me to imagine what it was you were explaining that was missing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your mode of thinking in that you could turn this into a short story or even a novel. Don't let the end of this project stop you from possibly doing that. There was a group of authors a couple years back who took their novels and tried to turn them into children's books, with much difficulty. Just keep this in mind.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the way you catch your mistakes and that you want to make your pastiche almost perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Criticism is a great way to get better and i love how you do not wait for others your critique yourself. i learned alot from your blogs. Great job

    ReplyDelete