Monday, January 25, 2010

Day Twenty-One

Even if the beginning sentence is only a sentence, it was one hard sentence to start off with. I had to think about my audience and what can catch their attention. I'm not really creative when it comes to writing, but the sentence that I do have picked out seems to be a complex sentence than the little children books. So, I decided to write my pastiche more like an advance children book, probably for late second graders and early third graders.

"The story of the Blue Heron starts off in ancient Japan, when the Emperor had lost his first wife, and his second wife became the new Empress."

I would have started with the simple, "Once upon a time..." but I think its too common and too repetitive. So, I just started off telling of the how the story started and where.

As for the illustration, I can't decide between two illustrations. The first illustration is of the palace, to show where the story first takes place. I imagine a great scenery, with flowers and a courtyard. In the back would be the clear sky, and in the court would be people in traditional Japanese clothing. The other illustration I thought of was, the Emperor and his the young princess were at the bedside of his first wife, and the second wife and her daughter on the other side standing by the bed. The second wife, would have some sort of serious face, with no sign of grieving whatsoever. These are just my starting thoughts.

4 comments:

  1. Your illustrations sound like they are going to be incredible no matter which way you go.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like how you carefully planned out what audience you want to target, and how you put so much thought into just the first sentence of the book. Also with the pictures I like the second picture because it says more than the first picture.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good beginning to the story, although, you could spice it up by simply stating: The messenger was walking through the town yelling "The Emperor has a new Empress" or something silly like that. It catches the children's eye right away.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like your idea of how your starting your story i think its unique and different.

    ReplyDelete